In the very centre of Kyiv, among the flow of people and vehicles, on the slopes of Lybid valley lies historical district named Pankivschyna, the heart of creativity and wit of the past century.
Local overview walking tour “Pankivschyna: from Latin Quarter to Ukrainian Parnassus”, created as a part of the ULA project “How can you not be loved, my Kyiv!” will immerse you into the times of the end of 19th – beginning of 20th century, when the Kyivan spirit of enlightenment emerged and developed. During the walking tour you will learn how the Kyivan University became the center of Ukrainian elite, the Kyivan counterpart of “Latin Quarter”, – and beyond. Pankivschyna is a historical gem of Kyiv, where prominent people of Ukraine lived, studied and worked – Mykhailo Hrushevskyi, Lesya Ukrainka, Mykola Lysenko, Mykhailo Starytsky, Yevhen Chykalenko and many more among them. It was here, in Kyiv, where the Ukrainian intelligentsia was shaped, where new ideas emerged, and all the cultural and social affairs of Ukraine were discussed and settled. Lively, intense creative life flourished here. Contemporaries called this cultural center “Ukrainian Parnassus”. And what a plenty of poems was created on the thorny paths of the Botanical garden!
The three hour route runs along the Lev Tolstoy, Saksagansky, Tarasivska and Pankivska streets. We invite everyone willing to enjoy the story about how the intellectual centre of Kyiv grew and changed, and about its inhabitants – creative, enthusiastic, and famous people. A walking tour along the paths of outstanding educators and culture personalities of Ukraine is an interesting and rewarding leisure for both guests and citizens of Kyiv.
List of main sights:
- National scientific medical library of Ukraine, philanthropist O. Tereschenko’s mansion (Lev Tolstoy Str, 7)
- Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Taras Shevchenko monument in the park of the same name
- Museum of Bogdan and Varvara Hanenko (Tereschenkivska Str, 15-17)
- Historical memorial museum of Mykhailo Hrushevskyi
- Garden of mourner sisters’ Mariyinska society
- Museum of prominent personalities of Ukrainian culture
- Specialized city library for youth “Young guard”
- Botanical garden named after academician V. O. Fomin
If you would like to participate in the tour, please send us a message at email@example.com.